Careers « view all careers
P/T Administrative Assistant
Under general supervision the Part-time Tourism Administrative Assistant assists in the implementation, execution and evaluation of Destination El Paso. Performs general clerical functions and assists Tourism Department with day-to-day operations of the department. Duties may include directing visitors, word processing, filing and faxing. Extensive software skills are required, as well as Internet research abilities and strong communications skills. Employee will perform routine, and some non-routine, continuous and repetitive work primarily with the operation of a telephone switchboard and the operation and maintenance of a computerize database of telephone information. Additional responsibilities may include processing expense reports, planning meetings, and maintaining database Inquiry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Answers, transfers and directs incoming calls using a computerized database for information access
• Strong customer service and business etiquette skills
• Perform general secretarial functions and assists Director /Sales Managers in day-to-day operations of the department.
• Considerable knowledge of office practices and procedures and excellent knowledge of office computer software.
• Able to follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
• Good organizational skills, the ability to multi-task and prioritize work and competing deadlines.
• Processes all in-coming mail for the organization
• Maintains statistical data related to visitor inquiries
• Monitors all aspects of the department budget, including preparation of invoices, check requests and purchase orders.
• Creates and maintains monthly, quarterly, and yearly inquiry tracking reports; comply data for monthly reports
• Assist in developing response material for the individual consumer and group tour markets.
• Assist the sales managers with follow-up on leads derived from sales and trade development efforts.
• Maintain database of El Paso’s lodging providers, attractions, entertainment areas, annual events, camp groups to include RV parks.
• Makes travel arrangements for tourism department, site visits and familiarization trips
• Updates online master calendar on a daily basis
• Updates websites as needed
• Works closely with Visitors Information Center to create and analyze surveys throughout the year
• Creates monthly post marketer newsletter and distributes to data base
• Maintain organized file system for department, including accounting records, requests for quotes, media placement, distribution lists and database of local, regional, state and national media.
• Prepare monthly reports and clipping recap for supervisor and senior management. Maintain an updated media placement book.
• Assist the Convention Development and Tourism Departments with the purchase of promotional items, novelties and uniforms requiring branding.
• Assist with requesting printing bids/estimates
• Assist in the coordination of special events throughout the year
• Assists the Visitor Information Center with phone duties and the coordination of lunch schedules.
• Makes all airline travel reservations for CPAC and CVB.
• Performs related duties as required
• Excellent knowledge of computerized switchboard operations
• Strong customer service and business etiquette skills
• Good organizational skills
• Able to operate various computer software packages necessary to complete assignments, specifically MS office
• Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, patrons, employees, and others encountered in the course of employment
• Organize and prioritize under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results
• Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, to be tactful, courteous and professional in order to project a favorable image of E Paso
• Must have a valid Driver’s License.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
• High school diploma or GED
• One-year experience in the customer service or travel industry
• Excellent multi-task and organization skills
• Bilingual preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS Examples:
• Daily sitting, focusing on and operating a personal computer or terminal keyboard to enter data for aver 60 minutes at a time.
• Ability to read printed words and numbers in printed form and on computer/terminal monitor.
• Communicate by telephone for up to 30 minutes at a time on a daily basis.
• Stand several times a day for up to five minutes to operate photocopier, FAX machine.
• Daily lifting up to 25 lbs. Up to 5 minutes at a time. Daily carrying up to 25 lbs. up to 5 minutes at a time.
• Daily standing for up to 15 minutes at a time operating office equipment such as FAX, printer or photocopier.
• See and distinguish objects or symbols as 20 feet or more and 20 inches or less. Depth perception, peripheral vision and bringing objects into focus.
• Write using pen/pencil or personal computer keyboard for up to 30 minutes at a time on a daily basis.
• Climbing ladders and staircases multiple times per day as needed to pick stock.
• Ability to travel by automobile and/or air.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Cover letter or Resume must include salary requirements for consideration.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 915-534-0690.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA, Federal Contractor