Careers « view all careers
Director of Event Services and Facility Sales
Under general supervision of the Assistant General Manager, direct and coordinate personnel, subcontractors and daily activities involved in the successful execution of events. Provides professional client services and support in the planning, organization and management of all events within the venues, and monitors the logistics of these events. Directs the establishment, implementation, and monitoring of all facilities sales. Prepares monthly forecasts and reports and manages preparation of special projects as assigned by management.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Ensure successful event coordination activities by supervising and training Event Manager(s) and Sales Manager(s). Plan, organize and assign all day to day work assignments for Event Services/Facility Sales including event staff, medical support staff, security and any additional subcontractors
• Ensures successful event coordination activities by monitoring events, maintaining close contact with clients and staff to ensure successful service level is achieved
• Meets with client groups to plan and organize assigned meetings and/or events
• Serve as event lead for specific events as needed
• Guides clients in preparation of events by interpreting and explaining contract provisions, policies and procedures
• Keeps clients informed as to status of deadline schedules, including but not limited to floor plan submissions, meeting room set-up specifications, insurance requirements and other relevant details
• Prepares cost estimates and monitors final billing
• Provides clear, concise and timely communication of detailed requirements to operational departments
• Serves as primary liaison between clients and facility department
• Follows up on all client requests, concerns and problems
• Maintains event related reports, information and files
• Attends appropriate planning, organization and other event and facility meetings in support of facility operations
• Serves as manager on duty as required
• Establishes new standards of customer service by working with all Event Services and Facility Sales employees
• Develops policies and procedures for the Event Service and Facility Sales Department and monitors their compliance
• Implement sales plans and objectives and recommends programs and polices to achieve these plans and objectives
• Set overall sales objectives and goals on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
• Stimulates the constant improvement of selling methods and productivity
• Maintains the proper image and generates positive public relations with patrons and staff
• Works extended/irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays as needed
• Other duties as assigned
Responsible for interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources Department; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited four-year college or university in hospitality, business or related field preferred
• Three to five (3-5) years of increasingly responsible experience in event management in a convention center or public assembly facility setting
• Customer service experience is required
• Sales experience is required
• Food and Beverage Knowledge desirable
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• CMP certification desirable
Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrate knowledge in industry terminology, facility capabilities, operational procedures, event coordination and event-related services
• Demonstrate the principles and techniques of supervision, training, budgeting and other administrative duties
• Handle conflict, make common sense decisions and exercise proper action during high tension and stressful situations
• Know basic accounting
• Handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Operate portable radio and standard office equipment including copier and fax machine
• Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with other in both oral and written form
• Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines with special attention to detail
• Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule, and produce accurate results
• Work independently, exercising judgment and initiative
• Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment
• Be licensed and insured to operate a motor vehicle in the United States
• Effective communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required
• Basic knowledge of Spanish preferred
Operate a personal computer using Windows, Microsoft Office software and knowledgeable in event software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed for events
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
• This position requires minimal stooping and lifting, but substantial walking. Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This position offers a competitive salary. Please send a copy of your most recent resume.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 915-534-0628.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.