Careers « view all careers
Sports Sales Manager
Under general supervision of the Director of Convention Development, the Sports Sales Manager is responsible for enhancing economic and social growth in El Paso by marketing, promoting, developing and coordinating meetings, conventions, conferences, tradeshows and special events for the city by working closely with meeting planners, event coordinators and executive directors.
Included but are not limited to the following:
• Responsible for the soliciting and confirming sporting events & tournaments on a national, regional and state level for El Paso area hotels, meeting facilities and other venues, with a primary focus on securing hotel room nights for the city.
• Manage accounts in and continue to grow computerized database of meeting planners and events rights holders with the intent to initiate communication, and receive, answer and respond to inquiries or provide other assistance.
• Utilize the department’s database to maintain accurate and detailed records of prospects, leads, new business, sales calls, existing client interaction, and group servicing activity.
• Prospect new events and make contact with planners via various methods to include but not limited to telephone calls, letters and email correspondence.
• Utilize state and national meeting/event databases and association memberships to identify potential clients and to keep up to date with sports & tournament activity.
• Conduct direct sales efforts through targeted sales missions, sales calls, and participation in trade shows designed to reach planners and events rights holders in an effort to collect Request for Proposals (RFP) and respond accordingly. Responsible for appropriate and timely follow up.
• Develop custom proposals and bid presentations as a response to RFPs addressing client specifications for hotel accommodations, transportation requirements, and site location for sporting events.
• Research and develop themes for “packaging” El Paso to both groups and visitors. Organize package contents and create design for package presentation with the assistance of the Director of Convention Development.
• Entertain clients as appropriate during hospitality suite events, receptions, site visits and familiarization tours.
• Develop relationships and build partnerships with local businesses, attractions and hotels relative to El Paso’s hospitality industry and maintain an accurate, up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge of the inventory/capabilities of the Greater El Paso area and effectively uses this knowledge as a sales tool.
• Produce monthly sales report for Director of Convention Development, including minimum number of sales calls per days as directed. Also produce detailed wrap reports at the conclusion of each travel mission or sales trip.
• Meet or exceed quantifiable goals for calls made, leads generated, and business confirmed determined by Convention Development Director on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
• Assist in the procurement of information, photography and the development of the Sports Planner’s Guide, tradeshow collateral, related advertisements, marketing campaigns and other information to be used in trade publications and on Destination El Paso’s website.
• Manage respective clients from initial contact through the conclusion of the event as well as assist with the follow-up of the post-event evaluation and next bidding opportunity.
• Represent Destination El Paso/Visit El Paso at local, regional and state exhibitions or conferences such as EPHMA, TACVB, NASC, TEAMS, Connect Sports or other organizations/associations as directed.
• Perform related duties as required.
Position requires the ability to:
• Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both an oral and written form.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of convention sales management and hospitality industry with understanding of marketing, sales techniques and meeting management.
• Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
• Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, customers, coworkers and others encountered in the course of employment.
• Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
• Develop and apply creative approaches to promote convention business for El Paso under deadlines to meet sales goals; communicate effectively, both in oral and written form such as when making sales and informational presentations before groups of various sizes or diverse demographics, and when responding to common inquires or complaints from clients or members of the community.
• Ability to close and secure business.
• Willing and able to work evenings, weekends and holidays based on client and office demands.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
• Extensive out of state and intra state travel required.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• College education or equivalent combination of education and experience
This section contains information on working conditions out of the ordinary such as:
• Office environment.
• Requires sitting and working on the computer as well as the phone; assisting with duty manager requirements for events which would include standing and walking.
• Occasionally, bending, stooping, and lifting may be required. Position may subject to adverse conditions and irregular schedules.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor