Careers « view all careers
Director of Convention Development
The Director of Convention Development manages and leads the convention development sales department. Responsible for identifying market opportunities; developing long and short-term marketing and sales strategies and development of training programs for staff with the objective of attracting conventions, meetings, and events that secure hotel room. Direct reports include: Senior Convention Sales Manager and Convention Sales Managers. Prepares monthly forecasts and reports and manages preparation of special projects as assigned by management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Directs, hires and trains convention development sales staff.
Maintains close working relations with area hotels and convention facilities and serves as liaison between the client and these facilities; conducts monthly meeting with hotel sales professionals in El Paso.
Contributes to the marketing plan and strategies to promote the El Paso region
Develops cooperative programs, familiarization trips, and sales missions with area hotels and hospitality industry to market El Paso region.
Develops and initiates new accounts, manages priority sales accounts; assigns all new accounts.
Produce reports including but not limited to sales metrics/quantifiables together with reports requested by city
officials/departments, internal reports for AGM, GM or Corporate office and as directed on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
Gather reports/data for annual reports and marketing plan as well as prepare an analysis for upcoming budget preparations and projections.
Implement and manage incentive-based compensation for Convention Development Department on a quarterly and annual basis.
Make written or in person presentations to boards of directors, convention delegates or site selection committees as directed to secure business for El Paso.
Develops and maintains an accurate, up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge of the capabilities of the Greater El Paso area and effectively uses this knowledge as a sales tool and teaching module.
Develop relationships and build partnerships with local businesses, attractions and hotels relative to El Paso’s hospitality industry. Maintain up-to-date records and communicate regularly to maintain good relationships with the lodging facilities, convention center staff, attractions and other agencies to collect information for maintenance of meeting planner’s kit and collateral.
Develop and maintain relationships with professional membership organizations, local businesses, industries, institutions and the public at-large to further to goals and mission of Visit El Paso.
Represent Destination El Paso/Visit El Paso in area, regional and state organizations such as EPHMA, TACVB, TSAE, SGMP, or other organizations/associations when appropriate.
Attends tradeshows to promote the El Paso region as a convention, meeting, and tourist destination.
Conducts regular sales meetings with department staff to discuss goals and prospecting efforts, upcoming conventions, meetings, outstanding leads, and special projects.
Plans and oversees all Familiarization Tours and site inspections conducted by the department.
Routinely reviews departmental communications, sales proposals, contracts and recommends improvements.
Maintains continuing education through numerous outlets and memberships as well as secures Texas Destination Marketing certification through TACVB- Texas Association of Convention & Visitors Bureaus.
Often works extended/irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
Other duties as assigned by the Assistant General Manager.
Directly supervises all convention development sales staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with ASM’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing client or internal complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
• Excellent organizational, planning and problem-solving skills.
• Prior Supervisory experience preferred.
• Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
• Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic.
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, computer proficiency, and ability to
learn specialized computer software as needed.
• Basic knowledge of Spanish preferred.
• Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both in an oral and written form.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of convention sales management and hospitality industry with understanding of marketing, sales techniques and meeting management.
• Strong sales team leadership experience
• Strong presentation and public speaking skills
• Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
• Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, customers, employees and others encountered during employment.
• Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
• Ability to solicit and secure business.
• Willing and able to work evenings, weekends and holidays based on client and office demands.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
• Extensive out of state and intra state travel required.
• Bachelors’ degree required (relevant experience may be considered)
• 3-5 years Convention experience in hotel or related venue
• CMP certifications desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to adjust work schedule to coincide with events
• Ability to travel required
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally
• Moderate physical effort required
• Ability to use a video display terminal
• Position in not substantially exposed to adverse conditions
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Resumes and Cover letter must include salary requirements for consideration.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact- 915-534-0628
ASM Global is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA, Federal Contractor
To Apply please link to this site:
|For questions about the position contact, Nicole Newman, Vice President||SearchWide Globalemail@example.com 480-264-7675 (direct)||951-640-3745 (mobile)
About SearchWide Global
SearchWide Global is a full-service executive search firm primarily for companies in the travel, tourism and convention, and hotel and lodging industries. We specialize in C-Level, Director and Management level executive searches for companies ranging in size from Fortune 500 corporations to mid-sized public and private companies.