Careers « view all careers
Director of Convention Development
SMG manages the El Paso Convention & Performing Arts Center, the Convention & Visitor’s Bureau, McKelligon Canyon Amphitheater and Pavilion, the Plaza Theatre Performing Arts Centre, and the El Paso Film Commission.
Manages and leads conventions and catering sales. Responsible for identifying market opportunities; developing long and short-term marketing and sales strategies and development of training programs for staff with the objective of attracting conventions, meetings, and events that both secure hotel room nights and generate revenue for the managed venues. May handle priority accounts for larger convention producers. Direct reports include: Senior Convention Sales Manager, Convention Sales Manager, Senior Facility Sales Manager and Venue & Catering Sales Manager. Prepares monthly forecasts and reports and manages preparation of special projects as assigned by management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities includes the following.
• Directs, hires and trains convention sales and facility sales staff
• Maintains close working relations with area hotels and convention facilities, and serves as liaison between the client and these facilities; conduct monthly meeting with hotel sales professionals in El Paso
• Develops a marketing plan and strategies to promote the El Paso region; develops and initiates new accounts
• Develops cooperative programs, familiarization trips, and sales missions with area hotels and hospitality industry to market El Paso region
• Handles priority sales accounts; assigns all new accounts
• Supervises planning and coordination of all food and beverage sales
• Prepares sales forecasts and monthly reports
• Maintains statistical data pertaining to conventions and meetings held and booked, and their economic impact to the community
• Oversees all facility clients to ensure highest level of customer service for all external service providers
• Attends tradeshows to promote the El Paso region as a convention, meeting, and tourist destination
• Prepares annual budget for department
• Directs department in all convention development promotional and advertising projects
• Conducts regular sales meetings with department staff to discuss upcoming conventions, meetings, outstanding leads, and special projects
• Manages all booking reports, bid presentations, and site inspections conducted by the department
• Routinely reviews departmental communications, sales proposals, contracts and recommends improvements
• Often works extended/irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays
• Other duties as assigned by the Assistant General Manager
Directly supervises all convention and catering sales staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing client or internal complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
• Excellent organizational, planning and problem-solving skills.
• Prior Supervisory experience preferred.
• Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
• Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic.
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, computer proficiency, and ability to
learn specialized computer software as needed.
• Basic knowledge of Spanish preferred.
• Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both in an oral and written form.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of convention sales management and hospitality industry with understanding of marketing, sales techniques and meeting management.
• Strong sales team leadership experience
• Strong presentation and public speaking skills
• Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
• Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, customers, employees and others encountered during employment.
• Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
• Ability to solicit, close and secure business.
• Willing and able to work evenings, weekends and holidays based on client and office demands.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
• Extensive out of state and intra state travel required.
• Bachelors’ degree required (relevant experience may be considered)
• 3-5 years Convention experience in hotel or related venue
• CMP certifications desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to adjust work schedule to coincide with events
• Ability to travel required
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally
• Moderate physical effort required
• Ability to use a video display terminal
• Position in not substantially exposed to adverse conditions
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Resumes and Cover letter must include salary requirements for consideration.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 915-534-0628.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA, Federal Contractor