Careers « view all careers
Director of Operations
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for an Operations Director at Destination El Paso. The position is responsible to schedule and supervise personnel, subcontractors and daily activities involved in the successful execution of events and maintenance of the facilities by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
Directs, supervises and schedules all aspects of Facility Operations, Construction Projects, including Engineering; Building and Grounds; Technical Services; Setup and Changeover; Public Safety; Security; Custodial Services, Event Services, Information Technology, Production, Shipping and Receiving, and Parking Departments.
• Coordinates the Operations activities with other departments and event related contractors to assure facility readiness and smooth operation of events, including ADA compliance.
• Implements and updates facility rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Provides clear, concise, and timely communication of directives to other departments.
• Ensures that Operations Department receives pertinent information for the most effective use of the facility and staffing.
• Oversees maintenance of the Physical Plant, systems, equipment, vehicle fleet, electrical, mechanical, environmental controls and related building management systems.
• Assists in the preparation, implementation, and monitoring of the Annual Operating Budget and recommends a capital budgets for 1-year and 5-year long-range repairs and improvements to the facility.
• Responsible for SMG’s proprietary maintenance software, Altum, ensuring the system meets SMG Corporate initiatives.
• Know and ensure all laws, codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, risk management, safety precautions, rules/regulations and emergency procedures are followed. Develop and implement programs to ensure training for employees as needed.
• Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: maintain high-standards for guest services, employee training and development, quality assurance, energy efficiency, safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas as required.
• Knowledge in operational procedures, facility capabilities, industry terminology, event-related services and technical requirements for the types of events anticipated at the facility.
• Understands performance measures as outlined in the terms of SMG Management deliverables Agreements with client/city.
• Authorizes the requisition of equipment and supplies within budget guidelines.
• Develops program to train all employees on Fire/Life Safety, Emergency and OSHA Procedures.
• Investigates, analyzes and resolves operational problems and complaints. Conducts periodic staff meetings to discuss procedures, problems and policy changes.
• Works closely with the Assistant General Manager in the preparation and negotiation of Service Agreements. Reviews contracts for compliance with events and /or government specifications and suitability for occupancy.
• Negotiates with vendors, unions, contractors and/or service providers.
• Develops and implement preventive maintenance schedules, emergency procedures, safety and Risk Management policies in compliance with all Corporate and governmental regulations.
• Acts as liaison to public utility, environmental, and energy agencies. Assist AGM in implementation of any energy saving guidelines.
• Coordinates and oversees special projects, such as construction, remodeling or expansion. Plans and directs outside vendors/contractors work to assure compliance with contracts and safety requirements.
• Works with direct reports to review scheduled events and event complexity in order to avoid potential service challenges and failures.
• Maintains inventories of equipment, while keeping in mind current technology and trends, to maximize customer satisfaction and revenue opportunities for local, regional, and national events.
• Works directly with high profile and high revenue groups to determine objectives and requirements and ensure an excellent customer experience for all customers.
• Communicates vision for service delivery in Event Management to ensure guest is serviced from arrival to departure
• Serves as MOD (Manager on Duty) as required.
Manages subordinate supervisors in any Event Services departments and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Bachelors degree required, Engineering degree preferred
• Minimum of 5 – 8 years related experience in the public assembly industry in a supervisory position
• Maintain an effective working relationship with employees and vendors.
• Strong organization, supervisory, communication, and writing skills
• Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic
• Ability to work with limited supervision and as a team member
• Follow oral and written instructions
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, computer proficiency, typing, and ability to learn specialized computer software as needed
• Requires ability to work flexible and extended hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays, in addition to normal business hours.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk extensively, occasionally required to kneel, climb to high walkways or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
• This position requires work inside and outside of the building and some exposure to adverse conditions.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package.