Careers « view all careers
Convention Sales Manager - Austin Area Representative
Under general supervision the Austin, TX based Sales Manager will be primarily responsible for generating association accounts in an effort to impact large citywide and hotel business for Destination El Paso. Will also maintain a highly efficient and effective sales effort as well as handle day to day operational management, which will include a specific lead generation quota as well as tentative and definite room night goals.
• Based in Austin, TX this manager is responsible for soliciting and booking of group business for El Paso area hotels, meeting facilities and other venues, with a primary focus on securing hotel room nights for the city.
• Manage and maintain computerized client database of meeting planners to include but not limited to MINT and TXMet with the intent to initiate sales contacts, and receive, answer and respond to inquiries and requests or provide other assistance.
• Utilize department’s database to maintain accurate and detailed records of prospect leads, new business, sales calls, existing client interaction, and group servicing activity.
• Prospect associations via various solicitation methods including but not limited to internet research, telephone calls, letters, and personal contacts to research meeting needs and determine department’s role for meeting those needs.
• Conduct direct sales efforts through sales calls, convention bids, targeted sales missions, and participation in trade shows and travel industry activity designed to reach consumers and meeting planners.
• Conduct follow-up calls as a result of trade shows, expos or sales missions.
• Conducts and assists in site tours of the Greater El Paso area as required. Entertains clients as appropriate during but not limited to hospitality suites, receptions, site visits and familiarization tours.
• Assist in the coordination and execution of sales missions in Austin and other cities as determined by Director and marketing plan.
• Develops and maintains an accurate, up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge of the capabilities of the El Paso area and effectively uses this knowledge as a sales tool.
• Meet or exceed quantifiable goals for calls made, leads generated, and business confirmed determined by Convention Development Director on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
• Produce monthly sales report for Convention Development Director, including minimum number of sales calls per days as directed.
• Produce detailed wrap reports at the conclusion of each travel mission or sales trip.
• Develop and maintain relationships with professional membership organizations, El Paso businesses, industries, institutions and the public at-large to further to goals and mission of Destination/Visit El Paso.
• Represent the Destination El Paso/Visit El Paso in area, regional and state organizations such as TSAE, SGMP, MPI or other organizations/associations as directed.
• Travel to El Paso on a monthly basis for meetings, site visits, etc.
• Perform related duties as required.
• Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both in an oral and written form.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of convention sales management and hospitality industry with understanding of marketing, sales techniques and meeting management.
• Remain flexible and adjust professionally to situations as they occur.
• Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, customers, employees and others encountered in the course of employment.
• Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
• Develop and apply creative approaches to promote convention business for El Paso under deadlines to meet sales goals; communicate effectively, both in oral and written form such as when making sales and informational presentations before groups of various sizes or diverse demographics, and when responding to common inquires or complaints from clients or members of the community.
• Ability to close and secure business.
• Willing and able to work evenings, weekends and holidays based on client and office demands.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
• Extensive out of state and intra state travel required.
• College education or equivalent combination of education and experience
The position requires the ability to work independently with little direction, work cooperatively with other Staff members and establish and maintain effective communications and working relationships with others. The ability to meet schedules and deadlines, plan and organize work and communicate effectively both orally and in writing is also required. The ability to work on multiple projects and priorities, effectively conduct verbal communication with internal and external parties via telephone and in person is also required.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Please attach a copy of your most recent resume and cover letter which includes salary requirements.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 915-534-0628.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor